The sun begins to come up, and the first rays of light begin to shine upon this fresh day.
What do you do with this time?
The most important thing.
If you have a project you want to happen (let’s say you want to write a book), this is the time to form a habit that will make that project happen. A morning writing habit will get the book done. Simply wishing for the book to get written, or saying you’ll do it “someday,” doesn’t make it happen.
If it’s important, you’ll make a morning habit of it:
- If you want to lose weight, create a morning walking habit. Or morning strength training. Or a healthy breakfast with fruits and veggies.
- If you want to start a new business, create a morning session where you work on it every morning.
- If you want to become more mindful during your day, create a morning meditation habit.
- If you want to work on your relationship with your spouse, have a morning habit of talking about your relationship over coffee.
- If you want to journal, make it a morning habit.
Why is morning a better time for important habits? Why not afternoons or evenings? Well, I’m biased, because I really love the mornings. But I’ve found the time to be quieter, less chaotic, better for reflection and focus. Some people will work better in the late nights, but I’m usually tired by then. So figure out what time is your magic time — I think for most people that will be mornings, but not all.
I’ve done pretty much all my important achievements through morning habits: I trained for several marathons by running in the morning, created this blog and wrote numerous books with a morning writing habit, have improved mindfulness through morning meditation, and became a regular exerciser and healthy eater. I’ve had morning walks, done morning journaling, morning yoga, and morning talks with Eva.
There are great habits you can create in the afternoons and evenings too, but I recommend trying a morning habit if you have something important you want to get done.
Make it a habit, and do it first.
Help Creating a Morning Habit
This month in my Sea Change Program, we’re creating a morning habit with our September module, A Good Start. If you’d like help creating a morning habit, join us!
In Sea Change, I offer:
- Articles and videos during the month to help you with the habit.
- A live video webinar where you can ask me questions.
- A forum where you can discuss the topic and find accountability.
- Emails to remind you to keep going.
Join us today — it’s free for a week, then $10 a month.